As your business develops, you get to a point where you have to state the types of services or products on your web site.
Looking at the competition or just other great WP sites it appears to be a simple task, just download the plugin, fill it with content and there you go.
Apparently no, this is harder then it looks. For starters, most of the wordpress pricing tables do not allow you to see the result until you are done. Others just can’t integrate and of course the winner is:
The free ones are a mess or give almost no control over what you do. Unless you pay someone some money. Every month.
What are we looking for?
- “Excel like” editing
- Normal preview
- Ad free
- Various themes
- Responsive (so it would look good on mobile devices)
Doesn’t seem like much but from 15+ plugins I tested, none came about right. (why would I want to have an big banner of some other company on top of MY table?)
The I found the One!
It was right there in the top 4 but somehow I ignored it. But look at the result and here is how to make it happen.
Creating the table
- Go to your plugins and click “add new”
- Install the plugin by “ready” and enable it”
- You will see that a menu was added to your admin site. Click it and create a new table
- Decide if you want to have text on every column or a master column which specifies all options available and then you just have to choose YES or NO on every product type (very good for those that offer different flavors of the same product). Choose the option from your right side “description table” – set it to Enabled
- Enter all the required data, the preview will be updated as you go. Important! – you can ad the 3rd column ONLY if you filled the second one entirely
- Input the button text. Remember, it should be a call for action so you would want to say “Purchase now” instead of just “purchase” or “click to buy” instead of just “buy”. The button URL can be you Paypal receipt or amazon’s buy now link.
- Choose the theme from “table template” menu. There are very good ones, don’t skip this part!
- Click publish – your template is saved!
How to post the table on your site
- Navigate to “Show all tables” and copy the short code for your table
- Go to the post or page that should display the table and paste the short code to the content
- You are done!